Early Childhood News
DECE Vision, Mission, Goals & News
This project seeks to convene a working group to align all stakeholders to present a consistent, clearly articulated, well integrated, universal, and comprehensive system for early childhood educators to access, afford and attain an industry recognized credential – and to educate, train and empower candidates in all Early Education and Care professions by providing clarity and creating pathways to overcome obstacles through a broad range of responsive partnerships and active stakeholders crafting solutions to promote systemic change; and by creating a career lattice, training structure and wage enhancing vehicles that elevate the work of the profession from a job to a career at all levels- through multiple points of entry – especially for women, minorities, non-English speaking, and economically disadvantaged candidates.
The overall purpose of this two year project is to help partnerships address the workforce development needs of their business, and to increase staff professionalism by growing the number of teachers with credentialing, Associates and Bachelor’s degrees which will result in higher quality instruction in partner programs and ultimately better education for young children.
- Career Counseling
- Application Process
- Admissions Curriculum
- Transition to Practice
Types of Early Childhood Professional Development:
- CDA – Child Development Associate
- T – Teacher Credentialed
- LT – Lead Teacher Credentialed
- DI & II – Director Credentialed
- AD – Associates Degree Early Childhood
- BD – Bachelors Degree Early Childhood
Through the creation of a seamless educational system, DECE partners will achieve the following goals:
- Reduced staff turnover, therefore reducing the cost of replacement and retraining of employees.
- Increased number of teachers enrolling in college degree programs, or further advancing toward obtaining degrees and/or receiving other professional development credentials.
- Increased ability to train more staff by grouping employers with common needs.
- Increased ability to meet staff qualifications for Universal Pre-K funding and other initiatives that increase quality and teacher compensation.
News & Publications
- Media Coverage – See Links to right for media coverage of this initiative and related articles.
- Developing Early Childhood Educators, Year One In Review. Click on link to right to download a PDF presentation shared at a partnership meeting on October 21st, 2009 with recent data and accomplishments, plus lessons learned thus far.
- The Interim Business Report focuses on the impact of the workforce intervention DECE staff have created a Measuring Business Impact tool (MBI) specifically for the DECE project to measure the project impact and record outcomes of the intended goals for incumbent workers and their companies engaged in training/education opportunities during the time period of August 2008-December 2009. The information provided will be utilized to provide initial baseline data and information for statistical purposes will be shared with funders, stake holders and other interested parties. The report is available in its entirety, click to the right on DECE Business Report #1 March 2010.
- The second Report on Business Impacts for incumbent workers of the Developing Early Childhood Educators (DECE) project presents findings from a workforce development intervention from Early Childhood Education companies who referred their incumbent employees to attend industry aligned skills enhancement training and courses that were conducted based on flexible scheduling after work hours from August 2008 – June 2011. The report is available to the right on DECE Business Report #2 June 2011.